February: The Sea Shepherd II and the Edward Abbey depart from Key West, Florida, via the Panama Canal and bound for Cocos Island off the coast of Costa Rica. Upon arrival at the island, a number of poachers are discovered. The Sea Shepherd II, under the command of Captain John Huntermer, and the Edward Abby, under the command of Captain Watson, evict the poachers with water cannons, pie cannons, stink bombs, and paintball guns. Video of the poachers is sent to the authorities in Costa Rica.

March: The Sea Shepherd II and the Edward Abbey intervene against tuna seiners killing dolphins in the Eastern Tropical Pacific and chase them from the area. The Edward Abbey is forced into Acapulco for repairs. Because of the attack on the Mexican tuna seiner Tungui the previous year, the Mexican authorities would have seized the ship. Because of this, Captain Watson entered without a declaration on a Sunday. The repairs were done over the next three days without Mexican detection. Upon discovery by the authorities, the Edward Abbeylet the lines go and sped from the harbor faster than any of the Mexican Navy pursuit vessels.

May: A Sea Shepherd crewmember boards the illegal driftnetting vessel Jiang Hai in Kaohsiung, Taiwan. The ship is scuttled at dockside for violating the U.N. Resolution banning driftnetting.

 June: Captain Watson attends the meeting of the United Nations Conference on the Environment and Development in Brazil. Captain Watson informs the Scandinavian media that  Sea Shepherd Conservation Society will target any whaling operations by any nation that do not abide by the regulations of the International Whaling Commission (IWC).

July: The Sea Shepherd II and the Edward Abbey depart from Santa Cruz, California, for a voyage to the mid-Northern Pacific Ocean. Both ships encounter a Japanese driftnet fleet North of Hawaii. The crewmembers cut and confiscate the nets, ram one of the vessels, and chase the others away from the area. The abandoned nets are confiscated. The Japanese government officially complains to the U.S. State Department. Returning to the mainland, the Edward Abbeyis boarded by the U.S. Coast Guard. Captain Watson welcomes the investigation and gives the Coast Guard  officers complete video documentation of the action. Japan withdraws the official complaint.

September: The Sea Shepherd II is retired at Ucluelet on Vancouver Island. After years of service, the ship has too many mechanical and structural problems and becomes too costly to maintain. The Sea Shepherd II is not retired meekly. The ship becomes a center of debate after the Canadian Pilotage Association attempts to extort excessive fees to harass Sea Shepherd. Captain Watson strips the Sea Shepherd II of all valuable gear and equipment and then sells her.

 September: Sea Shepherd crew continues to monitor and document illegal driftnetting operations out of Kaohsiung, Taiwan. Sea Shepherd discovers that 43 new vessels are being outfitted with over 65,000 miles of driftnet. The documentation is forwarded to the United Nations as evidence to support the proposed ban on Driftnets.

 October: The United States government passes Bill H.R. 2152 that authorize U.S. government  intervention against high seas driftnetting.

November: Sea Shepherd purchases a Japanese-built, Taiwanese-registered driftnetter from a United  States Marshall’s sale in Honolulu. The ship is purchased to be outfitted as a decoy to infiltrate driftnetting fleets.

December 26th: After months of surveillance, Captain Watson leads a team to Northern Norway to search for illegal Norwegian whaling vessels. Dwight Worker engineers the scuttling of the Norwegian whaler Nybraena in Reine on the Lofoten Islands at dockside the day after Christmas.  Sea Shepherd issues a press release describing the sinking as a “Christmas gift to the Whales.”