February – April: The Sea Shepherd ship Farley Mowat departs from Bermuda, refuels in Portland, Maine, battles bureaucrats in Halifax, and enters the Gulf of St. Lawrence to intervene against the slaughter of seal pups. A Sea Shepherd crew is attacked and violently assaulted on the ice. Eleven crewmembers are arrested and charged with documenting the killing of seals. The police refuse to lay charges against the sealers for assault. The ship then refuels in the French islands of St. Pierre et Miquelon and then heads north to Labrador marking the first time a ship has gone to the Labrador Front to oppose the seal slaughter. The crew battle heavy storms and harass sealers.

April: The crew of the Farley Mowat drop 16 net rippers on the Tail of the Grand Banks of Newfoundland to deter drag trawl operations. The ship returns to Bermuda.

June – July: The Farley Mowat enters drydock in Jacksonville, Florida, for repairs suffered during the seal campaign.

July: The Farley Mowat transits the Panama Canal and drops supplies to the rangers at Colombia’s Malpelo Island National Park.

August – September: The Farley Mowat drops off supplies for the Sea Shepherd ship Sirenian in the Galapagos. Sea Shepherd opens a permanent office in the Galapagos and extends an agreement with the Galapagos National Park (GNP) to assist in the patrols of the Galapagos National Park Marine Reserve.

October – November: The Farley Mowat crosses the South Pacific bound for Melbourne, Australia. The ship searches for and confiscates illegal longlines enroute. The crew inspect the remote Henderson Island for evidence of illegal fishing activities and stop at Pitcairn Island. The Farley Mowat agrees to take Pitcairn Islands mail to New Zealand. After refueling in New Zealand the ship continues on to Melbourne.

December: The Farley Mowat departs Melbourne and picks up a helicopter purchased by Sea Shepherd.

The ship then heads south to search for the Japanese fleet. The fleet is located on December 22 and then flees as Sea Shepherd approaches. On December 25th, the Farley Mowat intercepts the course line of the Japanese factory ship Nisshin Maru and attempts to foul her props. The Nisshin Maru begins to run and once again the Farley Mowat pursues.