Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (SSCS), an international non-profit marine wildlife conservation organization with a mission to end the destruction of habitat and slaughter of wildlife in the world’s oceans, is seeking a dynamic and experienced full-time Development Director (DD).
Sea Shepherd Conservation Society has been on the front lines of defending ocean wildlife and conserving ocean ecosystems for over 40 years. From seal defense campaigns on the ice floes of Canada to fighting for the vaquita porpoise in the Sea of Cortez, Sea Shepherd is at the forefront of direct-action marine wildlife and ocean protection.
Working with the Executive team and Directors, the DD will be an experienced development leader knowledgeable in all areas of development advancement. The Development Director will work to strengthen giving, while maintaining strong corporate, foundation and annual giving programs. S/he will also work closely with senior staff, the Executive Committee, and Board of Directors.
- Create, manage and execute the organization’s annual development plan, including annual budget planning.
- Develop, implement and analyze the effectiveness of a comprehensive, sustainable fundraising plan that includes corporate and individual giving, major gift cultivation, planned giving, private grant funding, endowment giving, and in-kind contributions.
- Work to develop and define strategies to increasing giving, both in the number of supporters/funders and in all levels of giving.
- Enhance and leverage donor database and data processes to effectively segment and target prospects, track contributions, produce timely and innovative acknowledgements, and prepare accurate reports for senior staff.
- Collaborate with Directors to improve or augment existing policies and procedures as needed.
- Maintain strong communication with Directors and outside donors to demonstrate financial need and show fiscal responsibility.
- Some travel required.
- 5+ years of professional experience in fundraising and development in a nonprofit organization, with preferred experience as a development director
- A broad background of fundraising experience (e.g. individual giving, major gifts, donor stewardship, legacy/planned giving, foundations, corporate gifts)
- Experience developing a strategic vision for development and the ability to translate that vision into a comprehensive, actionable fundraising plan with measurable outcomes
- Experience in direct mail, e-mail, and online fundraising
- Experience in research development and demonstrated experience in execution of successful fundraising efforts
- A flexible and resourceful style, including the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
- Outstanding organizational and follow-through skills, including exceptional attention to detail and ability to set, maintain, and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated success as a manager and leader, including the ability to effectively motivate and run teams, develop and coach individuals, and provide accountability
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and oral, including the ability to target and engage a wide range of donors with Sea Shepherd’s work
- One-to-three years of relevant experience in animal or environmental advocacy preferred
- Proficient in Raiser’s Edge
- Bachelor’s degree required or similar/equivalent experience
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Medical, Vision, and Dental Insurance, Holidays, Vacation, Sick Leave
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED: